Live Life and Live Forums Getting Involved Learning to Educate Others

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Colleen
    Keymaster

Losing my son to suicide was certainly devastating and left me with so many unanswered questions.  Why did it happen? What could I have done differently?  Could it have been prevented?

I knew some of these questions could never be answered and nothing could bring him back.  But, I had a need to learn about suicide and mental illness.  Perhaps I could help others?  I remember the first time I was contacted by another parent worried about her teen.  I was hesitant to provide advice to anyone.  I mean, what did I know?  This is when I decided I had to learn as much as I could about suicide…the causes and research being done to find new and effective treatments for depression.

I started my journey to educating myself in order to help educate others. I read all the resources I could find in books and online.  I attended a training class to enable me to facilitate the Talk Saves Lives presentation created by the AFSP.  My goal is to help prevent another parent from having to go through the pain of losing a child to suicide.

Learning brings us closer to prevention.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.